The Official Portraits of the Obamas

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

emiliano

Dec 23, 2017

Today the official portraits of Barack and Michelle Obama were unveiled at the National Portrait Gallery today. Barack's was painted by Kehinde Wiley, and Michelle's was done by Amy Sherald. Apparently they have brought up some pretty strong reactions in people, in both directions.

What do you guys think?

Dec 3, 2017
Honestly, not much. Not because of the subjects, but because I honestly don't see anything artistic in the portraits. To me there is something cold, disconnected and unemotive in the portaits

Jan 8, 2018
I almost agree with Heathen, the portrait of Barack is ok to me even if a bit cold and not so remarkable, I've seen other works of this artist and they are better than this, I would have liked more a portrait by Julian Opie or the famous HOPE portrait by Shepard Fairey or someone else. I mean it's ok but this is the National Portrait Gallery.
The Michelle portrait is totally a nope, the quality is low, almost amateurish and it doesn't even look her...

emiliano

Dec 23, 2017
I like the Kehinde Wiley one, but compared to Amy Sherald’s other work, I find her portrait of Michelle Obama a little dull. Id consider her to be a vibrant and dynamic woman, and whether or not the painting looks exactly like her, I wouldn’t say it captured her essence. To be honest too, I’d never heard of Sherald before. But partly for that reason, i also do like that they both chose black artists.

I find the backlash, especially among conservatives who seem to have just now discovered who Wiley is, to be pretty interesting.